Increase tension on the flash head

The flash head on the RF60 does not have enough tension between click stops to support light modifiers like the Magmods sold in the Cactus store.  In any position other than pointing straight up, the flash head flops to the lowest angle.  The only way I have been able to stabilize the head is to use gaffer tape to hold it at my preferred angle.

Is there a way to tighten the the flash head to overcome this problem?

Comments

• Hello @abthegrouch, from my understanding we have already tightened the clicks last year as running change since its release 2 years ago. I will speak to R&D and see if we can further tighten it.

However I think the real fix is to add a locking button on the flash head, but that's not really feasible as it involves an entirely different mechanical design and new parts.

I will keep you posted. Thank you!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • One thing I have done since the heads are so floppy is I used gaffer tape to keep the battery door and flash head from opening/tilting.
  • edited July 2017
    However I think the real fix is to add a locking button on the flash head, but that's not really feasible as it involves an entirely different mechanical design and new parts.
    I think it is great the there currently is not a locking button as operating a locking button would very much complicate redirecting the flash head. If one uses a small, light "modifier" like the "Black Foamie Thing" then there is no need for very resistive clicks and having to unlock a flash head would slow me down and/or make the handling much more awkward.

The best solution pleasing everyone would be a locking mechanism that could be disabled. It could perhaps be similar to the Pentax K-1's mode dial locking mechanism which requires explicit unlocking for every turn (if required) but can also be completely disabled for those who never have a problem with accidental mode dial changes and perceive the extra unlocking as an unnecessary burden.