V6 with Olympus fl-50r flash

Hi all

Has anyone managed to get cactus v6 to fire a Olympus fl-50r
I can set up fl-50r profile then when I turn on v6 and fl-50r I cannot set TTL mode on flash. Only manual and auto am using current 1.1.019 firmware

I took this set up to local camera store. Park cameras and had 3 people try to set this up for me
No success still cannot use fl-50r. With v6.

Regards joe

Regards Joe

Comments

• I have seen that behavior too. With V6 and FL-50R freshly powered on, the flash refuses to go to TTL mode. A half-press on the V6's test button solves it for me.

--
    Ragnar
  • Thanks tried that still no use
    Very unreliable with Olympus
    As you cannot set TTL mode without attaching to device their could be a firmware issue. Would be good to get and try previous few firmware versions
    What firmware are you on???

I hope the manufacturers are reading these comments.....>
    Joe
  • ?

I hope the manufacturers are reading these comments.....>
    Joe
    Of course we are reading your comments

I replied on your other post - check if you have already selected the corresponding flash profile on your V6.  Remember to press OK when you see "FL50R", and OK again when you see "USE" to confirm your selection.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi Antonio

Yes fl50r profile selected.......

Have done factory reset, Then again set to fl50, I have 3 v6 cactus and two fl50 flash units still cannot get the fl50 to go to TTL MODE sussfully, took all units to camera store and no one there could get TTL MODE, When I put fl50 on to camera I can set TTL MODE

Note the fl50 is looking for connection to either camera or cactus before it will set TTL MODE you cannot set TTL on fl50 without flash being connected to camera/cactus. Do you have earlier version of firmware I could try

Regards Joe

Any more ideas
  • Thanks tried that still no use
    Very unreliable with Olympus
    As you cannot set TTL mode without attaching to device their could be a firmware issue. Would be good to get and try previous few firmware versions
    What firmware are you on???

I have 1.1.019 on mine.
    --
    Ragnar
  • Try powering on the devices from top down:
    1. Olympus FL-50R
    2. Cactus V6 (TX)
    3. Olympus camera
    Before connecting the V6 to camera / flash, you may select the FL-50R's flash profile first.

Once all three devices are switched on, then press and hold the Menu button to turn on TTL Pass Through. You should see the flash respond automatically. If you have a zoom lens, change the zoom ring on the lens and you'll see the numbers change on FL-50R's LCD.

If it isn't working on yours, check if the V6 and / or flash is mounted securely so hot shoe contact pins are all lined up.

Thank you!

I just tried it in the studio and it worked beautifully.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • I did some experimenting and discovered that my FL-50R has to be in AUTO mode for the half-press on the V6's test button to have any effect. In MANUAL it doesn't react at all. In AUTO mode, when I press the test button on the V6, the flash turns on its distance scale and then I can switch it over to TTL.

--
    Ragnar

• I did some experimenting and discovered that my FL-50R has to be in AUTO mode for the half-press on the V6's test button to have any effect. In MANUAL it doesn't react at all. In AUTO mode, when I press the test button on the V6, the flash turns on its distance scale and then I can switch it over to TTL.

--
    Ragnar

I just tried this:
    1. Hold the FL-50R free handed (without V6)
    2. Switch it on to AUTO mode
    3. Mount it on the V6
    4. Switch it to RX mode
    5. Use the correct flash profile (Olympus FL-50R)
    6. The flash will automatically jumps to TTL mode
    Can you reproduce this?

If not, then hot shoe pins are likely not lined up correctly between the V6 and the FL-50R.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• edited June 2016

I just tried this:
    1. Hold the FL-50R free handed (without V6)
    2. Switch it on to AUTO mode
    3. Mount it on the V6
    4. Switch it to RX mode
    5. Use the correct flash profile (Olympus FL-50R)
    6. The flash will automatically jumps to TTL mode
    Can you reproduce this?

If not, then hot shoe pins are likely not lined up correctly between the V6 and the FL-50R.
    Yes, I can reproduce it, but not consistently. More often than not, in step 4 above, when I power on the V6 to RX mode, the flash enters TTL mode but only for a brief period - less than half a second - and then it reverts back to AUTO. I can still not set the flash to TTL using its MODE button, if I don't first give the V6s test button a half-press.

I did find a method to set the flashes to TTL, that seems to work all the time, though. It's really simple; power on the V6 TX unit last of all. It doesn't seem to matter in which order I power on the RX units and the flashes, as soon as I power on the TX unit all the flashes on RX V6s enter TTL mode. Pushing the group selection buttons A-D on the TX unit also make the flashes on the corresponding RX units go to TTL mode.

--
    Ragnar