Hello

Before write, I've checked for similar discussion

Everything tested
Whole manual dowloaded and studied

canon eos 7d and canon eos 5dsr
speedlight 550ex and speedlight 580ex
speedlights work perfectly on camera

Bought 3 v6ii

each v6ii detected canon rig (even if 580ex is not specified and i need to do it manually)

each aid is with new batteries for test

initially no ttl detected
when press camera button, flashes fire 1/1 (full flash) while on v6ii appear 1/128 and time not faster than 1/160 can be used otherwise black stripes occur

later ttl is detected and attivated but now when pressing camera button no flash fire 
hss is detected too
but using test lamp button on v6ii they fire. and this appen with both cameras

what you suggest?
i wanna try with firmware update too

sincerely
Pierpaolo

Comments

• Hi Pierpaolo,

Did you follow the setup steps as listed on the Quick Start Guide?

Before you try anything, first please tell us what firmware version are you using on your V6 II?

Menu > Preference > Firmware version

If you are running Multi-brand HSS firmware, e.g. version 1.1.013, be default V6 II will auto-detect both your camera and flash.

So before you do any tests, first do a factory reset on your V6 II:

Menu > Preference > Factory Reset

Then follow the steps as shown on the Quick Start Guide and let us know if you see a letter "C" symbol in the camera and flash icon.  

If you require further assistance please let us know.

Thank you.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi Antonio

I did it step by step as manual says

anyway firmware version is 1.1.010

for receiver has been applyed auto profile initially for 550ex and 580ex, than specific profile for 580ex but with no changing

as above if i push the transmitter test button flashes fire, using camera shutter button nothing appen

transmitter show me battery, auto,ttl, flash system "c", channel (the same for tx end rx) no relay mode indicator (it's off) no delay timer (it's off) and camera system "c"

receiver shows battery, auto, power level, flash system "c", channel and wireless sensivity

Pierpaolo
  • Thanks Pierpaolo,

Please update your V6 II firmware to the latest version 1.1.013 and see if that fixes the problem.

Download the Firmware Updater here:

Thanks!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • hi Antonio

i've upgrade firmware in last version

when open software canon voice was black, while the others was blu. I've used multibrand and update it in 013 version

i did a new test

flashes was not detected automatically but i due did it manually
    camera the same
    if i use "others" or "auto others" and using the shutter flashes fire full
    if setting manually "canon" flashes don't fire
    using test button connection on v6ii flashes fire

i've the same problem as above

other ideas?

Pierpaolo
  • another test

initially i've choose one v6ii as transmitter and the other such receiver

i've exchanged one receiver and the transmitter

now everything works in ttl and hss and the problem seem fixed

have you any answer about this?

Pierpaolo
  • edited March 2018
    Hi Pierpaolo,

I wonder if it could be a hot shoe alignment issue on this particular V6 II? 

The X-TTL firmware for Canon is still in the works, so using firmware version 1.1.013 is the way to go for your Canon setup. We hope to have X-TTL for Canon released in a couple of months.

You mentioned TTL is working but it shouldn't be working, unless you were referring to an on-camera flash mounted on a V6 II TX?  The Multi-brand HSS firmware, such as the one you have installed, version 1.1.013, does not support wireless TTL.  It only support on-camera TTL pass through, as well as on-camera cross-brand HSS. 

Also, I noticed in your first post you mentioned "550EX", I believe this flash is not compatible with the V6 II.
    550EX runs only on analogue TTL and not digital TTL protocol. You may refer to the compatibility list:

The 580EX works, as it offers both analogue and digital TTL. So please only use your 580EX with the Cactus V6 II.

As a reminder, your 580EX should always be set to "E-TTL" mode. This is only way to allow the V6 II to communicate with it. 

In your tests, you were able to make things work by switching around the V6 II, it could be one of them is defective. 

Would running a factory reset helps?

Please let us know.

Thank you.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi antonio

with "faulty" v6ii i did a factory reset but nothing

every aid is configured in the right way

ttl sometimes work sometimes not, i'll wait for the canon firmware release

i can just add 550ex works good as well

i'll notice you everything

Pierpaolo

• Thanks for the update. So sounds like that particular V6 II unit is defective, better have it serviced.

I just checked with R&D, the Canon 550EX also runs on E-TTL so it is indeed compatible. And thanks for reporting this too. We shall add it to our website accordingly. 

Thank you and keep us posted.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi Antonio,

triggers works in excellent way

i post you 2 images 

Rose : 1/3200 f9 iso 1000
    Drop : 1/8000 f13 iso 1000

Greeting

Pierpaolo

• Hello Pierpaolo,

Wow, those are some amazing images! Thank you for sharing with us here on the forum. 

And also thanks for reporting back about working your Canon 550EX on the V6 II. 

Cheers!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager