Setup in advance of a shoot issue

edited August 2014 in V6 Questions
I have purchased 5 V6 units, my intention is 4 will be RX slaves and 1 will be the TX unit, I have placed labels on each unit so that my assistants know which units are for what purpose. I have also placed a label on each unit that shows groups A/B are for Nikon SB700 and groups C/D are for Canon Yongnuo 568 units. 

My goal is to pre-configure the settings but what I'm finding is that I cannot save A/B as Nikon and C/D as Canon Yongnuo, the V6 only seems to capture the settings from the current group. Is this the correct mode of operation? Am I required to configure the V6 each time I attempt to use it and what strobe it's connected to or is there a way to save the settings in each group as I'm attempting to do. 

Also when I do this for the TX unit, I'm finding that when I select a Nikon group (A or B) and scroll to the choose profile, it defaults to the last configured setup which in this case was the C/D group or Canon, if I select Group A/B change it to a Nikon SB700 profile then select group C or D it still shows Nikon despite it having been setup to Canon Yongnuo moments before. 

I'm concerned that this is causing some of the mis-match settings during shoots where 1 strobe is not firing at the same intensity as the other. 

Update, one other issue I've found, when I connect a Nikon SB700 to the V6 and turn on the V6 the flash will fire telling me it's set to operate. When I do the same with the Yongnuo the flash does not fire, the display does reflect all the power changes from the remote but it's odd that it doesn't acknowledge that the V6 is in control. In fact I can turn off the Nikon flash and the V6 keeps it live, I do this with the Yongnuo and it actually powers off.

Can you please confirm this behavior. 

Comments

• Hello

Thank you for your detailed description.

The V6 Rx unit has to be assigned a correct flash profile regarding to the flash which mounted on. The Rx unit doesn't adjust the flash profile wirelessly to the Tx unit. The Rx unit should save the flash profile which has been used in the last configured setup. If the flash is switched to other flash model, you will have to configure the V6 and assign the proper flash profile.

ABCB group shares the same flash profile. The V6 doesn't memorize which group for which flash. You cannot assign each group for a specific flash.  So, you will have to re-configure the V6 each time if the flash is different than the last configured setting.

The behavior of Nikon SB700 acts differently than Youngnuo 586 for Canon on the V6. The Canon system flash does not fire when the V6 is connected to the flash and turned on. It is completely normal.

On the other hand, the Nikon flash will be locked during the operation with V6. This is the prerequisite to use the Nikon system flash. So, you may turn off the V6 and the Nikon SB-700 in sequence. For your info., to use Nikon flash with V6, please turn on the Nikon flash , then the V6. It is because the V6 has to load some codes at the booting just for the Nikon flash. The V6 is not able to do it when the Nikon flash is turned on after the V6.

I hope this is helpful. Should you have any question, please feel free to share with me.

Cheers!
  • edited August 2014
    Also when I do this for the TX unit, I'm finding that when I select a Nikon group (A or B) and scroll to the choose profile, it defaults to the last configured setup which in this case was the C/D group or Canon, if I select Group A/B change it to a Nikon SB700 profile then select group C or D it still shows Nikon despite it having been setup to Canon Yongnuo moments before. 
    There seems to be misunderstanding about where to choose flash profiles.

Note that flash profiles are not associated with groups, but with receivers. Changing the flash profile on a TX unit is irrelevant for the receivers (it only affects a flash that sits on top of the TX unit).

In other words, there is no "remote control" for the profile choice. You always have to select the profile you want at the receiver unit. Since the receiver units do not lose the profile choice after "power off", you can typically can just leave them set and only have to pair the receiver to the correct flash again.

ABCB group shares the same flash profile.
    I think you mean to say the same thing as I did above, but it is easy to misinterpret the way you phrased it.

A profile is not really shared among groups. It simply depends on what profiles the respective receivers use, which profile is associated with what group.

@lombana:
    I believe what you want to do is to set two (RX) receivers to a Nikon SB700 profile and choose group A for one of them and group B for the other.

Likewise you want to set the other two receivers to a Canon Yongnuo 568 profile and choose group C for one of them and group D for the other.

If you never change the group choice for these receivers again then you already have a labelling for them. The receivers show the flash profile and their group, so they are fully identified.

With the TX unit you now just control which groups are active and at which power you want to use them.

This should achieve what you intended to do.

• Class A said, "I think you mean to say the same thing as I did above, but it is easy to misinterpret the way you phrased it."

Thank you for clarifying my point.
  • Thank you Class A that makes a bit more sense so my logic will work, as long as Nikon strobe ends up setup on a Nikon Pre-Set Receiver and Yongnuo on the receiver Pre-Set for that brand all should be ok. 

The confusion came up from the TX side, I wasn't clear on the need or lack of need in this case to pre-set what the TX'er is talking to. 

This all makes more sense now as to why it even works when I tested. 

Thank You again...