setting up a fuji xt-20 and a xt-2 with nikon flashes

hi,
I just bought 3 v6 11's and downloaded all the new firmware.  fuj.1.002 together with the 3.0 for the xt-2 and 1.10 for the xt-20, both of which were released within the past 2 weeks.  I have read the manual, watched utube videos and seem only able to do simple one power shots sometimes and power adjustments at other times.
  So....I'm going to work my way through each camera with all of your help so I can start shooting.  I was comfortable with nikon's speedlights when I shot Nikon cameras.  However, now that I shoot fuji, I have a new learning curve. 
first, let me check if I have somethings correct
1. there is no learning set up for high speed sync in the latest version of cactus software.
2. When I shot Nikon I always shot portraits in manual mode adjusting power for the different flash groups within the camera.  Moving subjects I used ttl. 
 I'm unsure if everything should stay in ttl and I would adjust the power on the back of the tx cactus.
so  camera ttl and flash units ttl?
let me start with this and work from there.
hopefully this discussion will help others with nikon flashes and fuji cameras
thanks in advance
george 

Comments

• Hi George,

1. FUJ.1.002, X-TTL firmware for Fujifilm, does not need any <LEARN HSS> on your X-T2 and X-T20.  It is still required though for older camera models that does not natively support HSS.
    2. TTL vs manual power control - either one can be used on the V6 II. Just toggle the modes by pressing the Group Buttons.  By default the flash mode is in TTL. Press it once, it goes to M, which is manual power control, press it again it goes to OFF, and again it goes back to TTL. 
    FYI you can cycle through the flash modes also for your on-camera flash, should you have one. But there's no flash OFF, only TTL and M. (if you want to turn off the on-camera flash, switch off the flash) You can toggle the flash modes by holding down V6 II's Menu button for 2 seconds.  You can also adjust this in the Menu. 

Since you have watched YouTube videos plus browsed the forum, you must have already seen this too?

Check also if there's a good connection between camera and the V6 II transmitter by adjusting camera lens zoom range, ISO, shutter speed or aperture and see if new adjustments pop up on V6 II's display. 

Hope this helps any questions you may have.

Cheers!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thanks Antonio,
    Thanks for your help.  I think I have everything set correctly.  I will try hss tomorrow.  So far so good.
    George 
  • Hi George,

Please do keep us posted.

Thank you!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.