Cross compatibility with Olympus and Nikon speedlights ?

edited November 2017 in V6 II FAQ
HI all. I have two Cactus V6 II units originally purchased for my Fuji-X system - as I had no flashes for this system. However I've now sold all my Fuji X equipment and that leaves me with my Micro Four Thirds system (Olympus OMD EM1 & MK II and Panasonic GX8) as well as Nikon ASP-C with my D500.

For speed lights I have two Nikon SB-800's one Nikon SB-900 and one Olympus FL600R units.

My question is, if I use the cross brand firmware, can I mix and match my speed lights across cameras and speed lights, and can I have say for example on my OMD EM1 MK II a V6 II on the hotshoe with a FL600R in that, and a Nikon SB800 as a remote light in the second V6 II - will that work in full TTL mode and can the camera mounted V6 II control the zoom, ISO and F-Stop automatically on the remote Nikon speedlight (say in the second V6 II).

Sorry if this is a noob question but I'm quite new to the world of remote speed lights.

Comments

• No problem for noob questions, any question is worth asking and there is never a silly question

The answer is yes and no.

Yes: 
    1. You can mix using the different speedlights using the Multi-brand HSS firmware.
    2. You get remote flash power output control
    3. You get remote zoom control
    4. You get High-speed Sync on all flashes, simultaneously

No:
    1. There's no full TTL support ... yet. 
    2. Multi-brand HSS firmware can be used on different camera systems.
    3. If you want TTL, you need system-specific firmware

We will be releasing the OLYMPUS (M43) X-TTL firmware really soon. With that firmware (i.e. OLY.A.001) it will be a yes, yes, yes to your questions. 

There's one exception, you cannot use your Nikon D500 with the same V6 II running on an Olympus(M43)-only firmware. You will need to install the Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) or the future X-TTL version (NIK.A.001). 

Thank you!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.