Remote TTL not working with V6IIs on Sony a7II with Canon/Olympus flash on V6II

Hi, I have just bought a Cactus V6IIs for my Sony a7II and a Cactus V6II aiming to use my Canon 580EXII and Olympus 50FLR flashes in remote TTL mode as per your compatibility chart indicates.

I have the latest firmware in each transceiver - SON.1.002 on the V6IIs and 1.1.013 MultiSystem on the V6II.

The V6II is correctly detecting the flashes, and all works well if the V6IIs is on manual mode - the flashes can be adjusted with manual output and the zoom works.

If I put the V6IIS in TTL mode for the group, the zoom does not function and the flash appears to fire at full output only - no TTL functionality.

Have I misunderstood the compatibility chart and do I need to wait for Canon or Olympus TTL firmware for this to work or am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks
Gary

Comments

• Hi Gary,

On your Receivers, V6 II units, you need to also install an X-TTL firmware. Just pick anyone of them, SIgma or Fujifilm, in RX mode they are all compatible with Canon and Olympus TTL flashes.

Thank you!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Aahhh, thanks, installed the Fuji version and now it works although I do need to set TTL compensation to +4EV   for the Olympus FL50R and around +1.0Ev for the Canon 580EXII.

• Thanks for the update and tips!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • re-tried the Olympus FL50R and needed exposure compensation seems to be around + 2.7EV, while it is around +1.3EV with the Olympus FL600R and FL36R.

In addition, in PowerSync mode, the FL50R and FL36R seem to function as if in HSS mode, while the FL600R is normal sync but 90% of frame covered by shutter at 1/320th sec.

ps. the remote zoom function treats Olympus flashes as if they are a 1.5x crop, not as the 2x crop which they are, hence when you set the Cactus to 50mm, the Olympus flash will be set to 35mm not 25mm. Might be worth fixing this up in future firmwares.
  • re-tried the Olympus FL50R and needed exposure compensation seems to be around + 2.7EV, while it is around +1.3EV with the Olympus FL600R and FL36R.

Just to make sure, are you using AUTO flash profile for both units, or are you manually selecting the corresponding flash profiles?

In addition, in PowerSync mode, the FL50R and FL36R seem to function as if in HSS mode, while the FL600R is normal sync but 90% of frame covered by shutter at 1/320th sec.

Thanks for reporting this. I will report to R&D for fixing.

ps. the remote zoom function treats Olympus flashes as if they are a 1.5x crop, not as the 2x crop which they are, hence when you set the Cactus to 50mm, the Olympus flash will be set to 35mm not 25mm. Might be worth fixing this up in future firmwares.
    We will see if it is possible to apply the 2x crop when adjust zoom when Olympus / Panasonic flashes are mounted on the V6 II.

Thank you.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi Antonio, I was using the Auto profiles
  • Hi Antonio, I was using the Auto profiles
    Thank you for confirming.

I have asked R&D team to look into it.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager