X-TTL Update

I have three Cactus V6 IIs and a couple of Olympus FL-600Rs.  There has been no word for a number of months as to when microcode to support X-TTL for Olympus, Canon and Nikon will be available.  It would be great if some update could be provided.  The lack of information makes one wonder whether Cactus has run into problems and will not be able to deliver the new functionality.

Thanks!
Michael

PS:  great products!  I really enjoy the flexibility of the V6 II transceiver. 

Comments

• Hi Michael,

Thanks for your message.

Below is our estimate schedule.

November 2017:  Pentax X-TTL
    December 2017:  Olympus X-TTL
    January 2018:  Nikon X-TTL
    February 2018:  Canon X-TTL

But you were right, indeed we ran into some hiccups, but it was with the Pentax version.  We had to adopt a new protocol so it was a bit messy. But also thanks to our beta testers we are nearly done swiping out bugs and should be able to finalize the firmware within days.  

After releasing the Pentax version, we start testing the Olympus version right away. We got most of the firmware setup so it should take less time so before Christmas should not be a problem. 

Thank you for your patience and do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Antonio, thank you!  Prompt, informative response.  You guys are great!

Michael
  • You are welcome, Michael.

Thank you for sticking by.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Desperate for that Pentax firmware, can you keep us updated in here every few days if it looks like it's going to be delayed? Opted to buy more RF60x in anticipation for Halloween but firmware never made it  
  • Any news on the Pentax firmware guys? Really pumped to use it with some upcoming gigs!!!
  • Any news on the Pentax firmware guys? Really pumped to use it with some upcoming gigs!!!
    Final bits of update needs to be put on up X-TTL's microsite then we'll be able to publish the Pentax firmware, likely tomorrow (November 7). 

Sorry for the delay guys!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Perfect, hopefully will wake up tomorrow and it will be live!

If that doesn't happen, any chance you could get it live on the firmware updater ASAP and have the website follow shortly afterwards? Has just been quite delayed is all and really want a chance to try it out prior to upcoming shoots where i'm really hoping to have it available is all. 
  • Perfect, hopefully will wake up tomorrow and it will be live!

If that doesn't happen, any chance you could get it live on the firmware updater ASAP and have the website follow shortly afterwards? Has just been quite delayed is all and really want a chance to try it out prior to upcoming shoots where i'm really hoping to have it available is all. 
    It's out!

PEN.A.001.

Go get it!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Wooo hoooo! Loaded it up on V6 II and the other flashes. 

One thing worth noting, and not sure if it's a bug or not, the exposure compensation doesn't appear to be working with the RF60x at all. The V6 II meters well on target, however the dial to adjust for compensation doesn't actually do anything. No difference between -5, 0 or +5. 
  • hey guys... when i read the info on the microsite, it more or less clearly states, that I can only use X-TTL with Pentax Flashes if I have a Pentax camera...
    If that is right, where is the sense in having X-TTL for me as a pentax user?
    wouldnt I be off much better buying an "Acon R930"??
    At least this device lets me use Nikon flashes... as far as i get it, it can act as a P->i-TTL translator and as wireless P-TTL transmitter...

Did i get something wrong here ... ? Is it actually possible to use the Cactus V6II as a real X-TTL transceiver and have TTL functionality when i pop a Nikon flash on a "Cactus V6II" set to RX mode and release it (f.i.) with a "Cactus V6II" set to TX, which itself is mounted on my PENTAX DSLR??

Either i misunderstood something, or i have to feel like I "have been taken for a ride"...?

I hereby ask for clarification.

Thank you in advance!

And if its real and X-TTL is not possible at the moment i intensely hope, that you will hand out REAL X-TTL functionality to PENTAX users with a future firmware update.

Thank you!
  • so... OK .. I read infos somewhere else, that make me think part i got it right, part i mixed something up...

So pls answer me that question if you can not or dont want to answer the latter...:

If..
    I have one Cactus V6II transceiver that is updated to:
      PEN.A.001 FW
    installed and i want to trigger a Sony flash with TTL functionality, i will have to wait for the FW:
      SON.A.001
    ??
    and later on if i want to trigger a Nikon flash with TTL functionality, by triggering it with my
    "Cactus V6II"@PEN.A.001 FW
    i will have to wait for a FW, that kinda says:
      NIK.A.001
    ??

Is that somehow right?

this would also translate to  that:

PEN.A.001 (TX) will be able to trigger FUJ.A.001

is that correct PLS?

• edited November 2017
    edit: ignore
  • Is that somehow right?
    No, it's not.

With a V6II transmitter running PEN.A.001, TTL is only supported for Pentax-dedicated flashes (including models from Metz, etc.) or the RF60(x).

All V6II units running any X-TTL firmware in receiver mode support all sorts of flashes from all sorts of systems. Nobody needs to wait for a future X-TTL variant to be published to have their flash system supported (when using one of the already supported cameras).

There is just this limitation that PEN.A.001 will only support TTL with Pentax-dedicated flashes or RF60(x) flashes.
  • ... wouldnt I be off much better buying an "Acon R930"??
    At least this device lets me use Nikon flashes... as far as i get it, it can act as a P->i-TTL translator and as wireless P-TTL transmitter...

I am not sure if that's really the case as we have not tested the Acon trigger. Have you or fellow Pentax users tested and confirmed this functionality?  P-TTL > i-TTL?

In our study of the Pentax system, and as mentioned in the Press Release document, cross-brand TTL is simply not possible due to special timing requirements.

FYI this is the same reason why Pentax P-TTL system flashes cannot be triggered by a non-Pentax camera for wireless High-speed Sync (HSS).

So in short, only P-TTL system flashes and Cactus RF60/RF60X are supported for wireless TTL.

Hope this clarifies any confusions you may have.

Cheers!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• ..and later on if i want to trigger a Nikon flash with TTL functionality, by triggering it with my
    "Cactus V6II"@PEN.A.001 FW
    i will have to wait for a FW, that kinda says:
      NIK.A.001
    ??

Is that somehow right?

The answer is no.

Because you can mount a Nikon flash right now on a V6 II with PEN.A.001 firmware installed. 

It's only that you won't get wireless TTL.

But you will get:
    - wireless HSS
    - remote power control
    - remote zoom control

Pentax camera & flash system DOES NOT support cross-brand TTL.  

In other words only Pentax P-TTL system flashes and Cactus RF60 / RF60X support wireless TTL when shooting on a supported Pentax camera. 

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hm....
    So in clear words:
    You want to tell me, that all the
    others systems will get cross-brand TTL, but due to some mysterious
    reason... PENTAX users will not be able to use cross-brand TTL?

I
    mean, i dont see the problem while I am certain that at no point in
    time all camera makers(except PENTAX) sat together on a real huuuge
    table and the following happened:
    they looked into that crystal ball and said,
    "Oh.. How about... one day, we will let Cactus-Image make this cross-brand solution ..."
    another one said,
    "wow good idea, lets plant support for it INTO our upcoming digital TTL protocols...now! before even the idea for those protocol themselves exist. "
    fuji rep on the other side of the table:
    "thank
    god, Pentax isnt here, so they cant implement those mysterious
    conditions for the future availability to make use of the now
    non-existant X-TTL. Phew!"

are you for real? - i mean its not
    that we(and also the majestic we - I) have a right on cross-brand ttl...
    because at the time, when most of the V6II users bought those devices.
    There was no word about cross-brand-TTL

but to me, that looks
    like a subtle lie...(incompatibility?? i mean its a protocol like every
    other, if you would want to you could translate it the same way you do
    it with every other protocol)
    and my good guess is, that you may made
    a deal with pentax... so the Brand and its TTL dont sink like the
    pirates in "asterix the gaul." but i have the slight feeling that my
    chances on an honest answer are more than thin.

I hope that we agree, that we are all grown-ups and you dont have to feel offended by my honest oppinion.
    I wont feel real bad if you are not able to state something else like the joke you brought in the last answer...which was:
    "Pentax camera & flash system DOES NOT support cross-brand TTL" ... i had to laugh for a couple of minutes... ---> see story above... :P
    because
    i never got very deep into programming, but i have a bit experience in
    embedded programming from some arduino and raspi projects...  and if I
    know one thing it is: you can convert any protocol to any other protocol
    if you want to...

And let me state that I sincerely hope that "Class A" will desist from stating sentences on those certain forums (PF, dp.., etc.) that will make PENTAX users think they would get the same as every others system user, if they buy into the Cactus Trigger System...
    Because that would be clearly wrong.

I grant the honesty to Cactus-Image that they did not spread this rumour. since i now saw that its stated on the "X"-TTL Microsite... It just works out in a way, that you think you would get the same as everyone else...(as long as you dont show real deep interest and start fossicking around on cactus-image community forum)
    even if it looks like the usual "small print" to me.

again, i am not mad about how it works out, because havin the Cactus V6II work as a remote P-TTL transmitter is fine for me,
     but to me it very much looks like that you promote the "soup of all flavours"  but in the end its just chicken broth with a bit of wasabi.

And if its a coincidence(LOL) or not, I am certainly happy about the way it is, because actually somehow its good for the Pentax brand if you think about it "on a galactic scale"... )
  • I have to agree with your sentiment.  The Cactus X-TTL micro-site still shows a Pentax camera on the left of the TTL bridge with Canon and Nikon flashes on the right, along with the text: "The need for matching flashes with the same camera system for on and
    off-camera TTL flash photography is over – TTL without boundaries.'

I accept there are technical challenges in the execution, and it's manifested by having to reverse-engineer the protocols, but the site is presently misleading in terms of the functionality it suggests to potential customers, which constitutes misleading advertising.

This really needs to be urgently rectified as it does not reflect the capabilities of the product.
  • Hm....
    So in clear words:
    You want to tell me, that all the
    others systems will get cross-brand TTL, but due to some mysterious
    reason... PENTAX users will not be able to use cross-brand TTL?

TBH, it's the same reason how in the Multi-brand HSS firmware that P-TTL flashes cannot be triggered by a non-Pentax camera...

i.e.: "...special timing requirements"

So at least to me the fall through of cross-brand TTL wasn't a huge surprise.  I did had hopes - that perhaps using a TTL firmware on the V6 II would be able to bent reality. But in the end as you know it did not work. 

Perhaps by using a metaphor, you can better understand exactly what is special about Pentax amongst all other manufacturers. 

- - - - -

Pentax is a university student with good grades. He is smart, diligent, and despite old fashioned at times, he's able to finish a 10,000 words essay in under an hour so he always do his homework last minute. Yet he still gets an A+ most of the time. 

Because he always work last minute, he doesn't do anything before that, besides chilling on Santa Monica Beach. Despite his wonderful classmates offered to send him reference material so he could add them in his essay, he won't listen to them as he is too busy sipping on a Pina Colada while sunbathing. 

- - - - -

@patarok, I had fun reading your message and hope you can get a better idea as to why cross-brand TTL did not work out on the Pentax X-TTL firmware. It is how the Pentax flash system is wired, and that's what we had to work with - basically there's no room for any non-Pentax information to be included. Every camera / flash systems have their limitations. 

Maybe in the future it's possible to change this, we don't know. We are trying to hook up with Ricoh Imaging Co. Ltd. in Japan but I doubt any significant change would take place.

Like you said, maybe this is good thing to Pentax to a certain extend. And most Pentax users are very brand loyal anyway and would use P-TTL flash. 

About the microsite, we did clearly state that "remote TTL only works with Pentax system flash".  Perhaps it's better if we more explicitly say... "cross-brand TTL is not supported"?

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• edited November 2017
    And let me state that I sincerely hope that "Class A" will desist from stating sentences on those certain forums (PF, dp.., etc.) that will make PENTAX users think they would get the same as every others system user, if they buy into the Cactus Trigger System...
    Because that would be clearly wrong.
    I vehemently disagree with your insinuation.

Show me one post I made in which I made claims that stretch the truth. Perhaps, possibly early on I shared Cactus' plans to introduce X-TTL to all camera systems? However, at the time no one, I understand that includes Cactus, had reason to believe that there would be limitations.

I can relate to your disappointment but your frustration does not give you the right to badmouth other people.

P.S.: I think you did well to remember that the V6II was initially only sold as a manual trigger. To complain that a free ($0, no cost, gratis) firmware upgrade only gives you P-TTL for Pentax-compatible flashes and the RF60(x) (with the latter also being upgraded to a P-TTL flash for free (no expense, zero spending, you get the idea)), is a bit rich.

Again, I understand your frustration but please don't insinuate that I mislead people on forums. 
  • i guess that, yes ...!
    the most confusing thing may be how the timeline-illustration depicts it...
    you should take out that black Square that says PENTAX and put a box there that says:
    Cactus V6II can now act as the worlds first worldwide-available P-TTL(full control, all functions) transceiver system....

AND AGAIN: THANKS SO MUCH for letting us PENTAXIANS have that at least.
    (i know it was never promised when the Cactus V6II never hit the market)

and i had a talk with some secretary from that guy that is sipping pina coladas...
    ... he said, it is most likely that developer only have to ask and heavily insist... then they will get help. and RICOH actually should lay out the protocol to you guys.
    Maybe he sent somebody else sunbathing, because some mad ex-girlfriend is stalking him...

-> wrong guy in the chair you phoned to.
    You should follow starlords example as shown here.

@Antonio Since we both seem to like allegorys, it came to my mind that this song about the Pina Colada lover, may be how it works out. (between Cactus and Pentax)

I was tired of my lady, we´d been together too long
    Like a worn-out recording, of a favorite song
    So while she lay there sleeping, I read the paper in bed
    And in the personals column, there was this letter I read
    "If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain
    If you´re not into yoga, if you have half a brain
    If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape
    I´m the love that you´ve looked for, write to me, and escape"
    I´ve got to meet you by tomorrow noon, and cut through all this red tape
    At a bar called O'Malley's, where we´ll plan our escape"
    So I waited with high hopes, then she walked in the place
    I knew her smile in an instant, I knew the curve of her face
    It was my own lovely lady, and she said, "Ah. Oh, it´s you"
    Then we laughed for a moment, and I said,
    "I never knew"
    "That you liked Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain
    And the feel of the ocean, and the taste of champagne
    If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape
    You´re the love that I´ve looked for, come with me, and escape"

• (loosely of course)

• Firmware Update for Fujifilm X-T2 and X-Pro2

I understand that Fujifilm will introduce at the end of november a FW-Update for the a.m. models.
    This update will include:

<<  Improve radio flash controller usability

The upgrade allows users to shoot with compatible third party studio
    flash in high speed sync. or TTL mode via their radio controllers. >>

Will this update have any effect on the present X-TTL software?

Thanks vm in advance

Helmut
  • edit: ignore
    I am trying to find the flash compensation you mentioned, not sure if this is where you posted it?

Anyway we were not able to reproduce your experience of "... compensation doesn't actually do anything. No difference between -5, 0 or +5... "

Please let us know if you require further assistance.  

Thank you.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager