Poor trigger sensitivity with Canon 5d MkIII and 7d Mk II

I'm connecting my LV5 to the Canon 5d MkIII and 7d Mk II directly with a short (3') cable. Very short beam interruptions, such as a rapid wave of the hand to disrupt the beam, won't trigger the shutter. It takes a longer disruption of the beam to trigger. I have the emitter set to 1 kHz, which is preferred for quick action. While testing the device with rapid beam disruptions, the sensor LED briefly flashes red to show that the beam has been disrupted, but the shutter does not engage. To capture a bird flying rapidly through the beam, I need greater sensitivity response. A rapidly flying bird may not trigger the shutter. Shouldn't the shutter engage reliably every time the beam is disrupted, regardless of the duration of the disruption? I'm wondering if I got a defective device, or if the device just can't deliver the responsiveness I need to capture birds in flight.

Comments

• Hello @teachersailor

I have contacted R&D team and get back to you ASAP.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • We have not received any similar reports except the only the first shot being not as sensitive. We will need to study this but it will take some time. So we recommend you to first go for a refund. 

We apologize for having you go through this. In the meantime should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for your understanding. And once again we apologize for the inconvenience caused.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • edited September 2017
    @teachersailor
    What mode are you using on the LV5?

Try using the single shot mode (instead of the multi-shot mode), i.e. make sure the lower of the two switches on the LV5 receiver is in the top position.

I think your camera is not very responsive to quick trigger events and in the single shot mode, the LV5 should create long trigger events, even if the interruption of the laser beam was very short.

You could also try to set a "Freeze" value of at least 4 (try higher, if that doesn't help). A longer "Freeze" setting allows the LV5 to artificially extend the laser beam interruption time into a longer shutter release event that your camera can detect.

Have a look at the manual (section 8, in particular 8.5).
  • I'm having the same problem. It just doesn't work. I bought the LV5 some time ago and am only just trying it, so it's too late to send it back for a refund. As I'm having the same problem, it's quite clear it's a design fault. Also why do you only supply a really short shutter release trigger?