Remote MANUAL HSS with Fujifilm XT-2 and NIssin i60A (FUJI.1.002) V6 II

edited August 2017 in V6 IIs Problems
By following thee Quick Start Guide I have been able to achieve TTL HSS with the above configuration which is cool but I never shoot remote TTL.  My application for the Cactus units to for MANUAL off camera HSS (daylight portraits, etc.)  When I try to select MANUAL mode in the camera's flash menu MANUAL Is not allowed.  It is as if the Cactus unit mounted atop the camera is telling it "either TTL or OFF".

Can MANUAL HSS be accomplished with the above equipment and firmware?
If so, what is the procedure to set-up the the devices to achieve MANUAL HSS off camera?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Comments

• One more question...

Can the above equipment be used to attain HSS with a dumb manual flash?  I have seen youtube videos where HSS is achieved with XT-2 and Cactus V6 II where the RX Cactus unit triggers a flash via sync cord.  How is this accomplished?
  • Here is the video of the V6 II F working HSS (non TTL) via sync cable.  
  • Alright....   I am returning the units as they don't meet my needs.
  • edited August 2017
    Have you tried putting the groups into manual mode using the V6II?

I'm not very familiar with the X-TTL firmware yet as it hasn't been released for my system (Pentax) yet, but my understanding is that you should leave your camera settings alone (leave them at TTL) and just use the group buttons on the V6II until an "M" appears next to the group you want to control in manual mode.

Also, if you never shoot TTL anyhow, you could also consider the V1.1.011 (multi-brand) firmware variant. It only supports manual power control (no TTL). I don't have an overview with which Fuji models the V6II is supposed to work with V1.1.011 but I think the XT-2 is supported.
  • HSS cannot achieved with any "dumb" flash. The "dumb" flash needs to support manually engaging HSS. A number of Godox models do that.

Most flashes only support HSS with a V6II, if they are mounted on a V6II receiver and the flash is supported by the V6II (i.e., it is not "dumb").

There is a "poor man's HSS" solution for dumb flashes that do not support manually engaging HSS called "Power Sync". It only works, when the speedlight fires at full power, so it is rather limiting in a way. Still, it can sometimes work just fine, in particular since at high shutter speeds, most speedlights have to operate near full power anyhow in order to emit sufficient amounts of light.
  • edited August 2017
    BTW, you posted your "V6 II" question in the (regular) V6 section. Not sure if an admin could move your post.
  • @mreyher, I think precisely what you need is to have manual power control remotely, right?

Simply toggle from the default TTL mode to M mode by pressing the desired Group Button, as illustrated on the Quick Start Guide - Setting Group and Flash Mode.

FYI the flash still needs to stay in "TTL" mode as that's the only way the V6 II can communicate with it and allow you to remotely and manually select the power output.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.