Pentax DSLR: remote control (no HSS) of a Metz MZ40-1i possible?

Is it possible to remote control (power and zoom) a Metz MZ40-1i from a Pentax DSLR?
I tried a V6II on camera (TX) and the flash with a 3701-M2 adapter on a second V6II (RX). The zoom control seems to work with the AF44 profile, but the power control didn't work. I tried different profiles.
Will it maybe work with the flash on a V6 (I)? There was a hint about analog TTL (V6I) and digital TTL (V6II).
I know, that there will be never HSS with that flash, but it would be nice, to have the remote control feature:-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best regards,
Heike

PS: Please be aware, that I'm not a native english speaker.

Comments

• edited August 2017
    Hi Heike,

Perhaps Metz will still upgrade your 3701-M2 to a 3701-M3 for free? At least they did it for the 3702 M2 in 2012. Apparently you'd then get P-TTL? Not sure if it would play with the V6II, though.

Am I right in assuming that the 3701-M2 supports TTL (but not P-TTL)? Perhaps it will then be compatible with the V6, but it seems Metz has a lot of these modules and the combination with a particular flash model also seems to matter. Perhaps this old compatibility compilation post I once created might help?

• Hi Class A,

yes, the 3701-M2 supports TTL and no P-TTL. And I think, there is no need to try to get an update to M3, because as I understand, the flash itself will never support P-TTL.
    So, if the V6II needs P-TTL and the V6 is happy (supports only) TTL, I will get a V6 and give it a try in the next weeks, but not immediate. So it will need some time, until I come back with the results. :-)

Thanks for your support,
    Heike

Best regards,
    Heike

• edited August 2017

yes, the 3701-M2 supports TTL and no P-TTL. And I think, there is no need to try to get an update to M3, because as I understand, the flash itself will never support P-TTL.
    Isn't it the idea of the adapters to add capabilities to flashes? I don't know them very well, though. Perhaps they cannot add features like HSS, if the flash itself was never designed to support HSS bursts. However, I wouldn't rule it out straight away.

So, if the V6II needs P-TTL and the V6 is happy (supports only) TTL, I will get a V6 and give it a try in the next weeks, but not immediate.
    Yes, the V6II needs a digital protocol (like P-TTL), whereas the V6 uses an analogue protocol (like Pentax's plain TTL).

Note that with a V6 as a receiver you'd only get remote power level control up to the sync-speed of the camera. The only extra would be support for PowerSync, i.e., you could use the flash for HSS-type applications but only at full power.

Thanks for your support,
    You're welcome.

• I had a short mail communication with Metz and I will share the summary...
    Only the SCA-3002 series adapters can be updated via firmware updates, but the is no remarkable difference between SCA-3701-M2 and SCA-3701-M3. The SCA-3702 supports P-TTL, but not with all flashes. The MZ 40-1i will never support P-TTL, so no need to change the SCA adapter.
    So, maybe I will get one Cactus V6 (I) (in addition to the V6II) and hopefully will be able to remote control power and zoom :-)

Best regards,
    Heike

• So, maybe I will get one Cactus V6 (I) (in addition to the V6II) and hopefully will be able to remote control power and zoom :-)

Kind reminder that a V6 (I) cannot trigger a V6 (II).

It only works the other way around, V6 (II) triggering a V6 (I).

One way to think of this is that, a smarter machine won't listen to one that is inferior to it. Only the smarter can act as the transmitter.  

Also, when V6 (I) is triggered by a V6 (II), the typical High-speed Sync will not work. Only Power Sync is supported - a full power flash that's fired as a normal flash pulse, like a bell curve shape. 

Just in case you want to get HSS to work off-camera.

And if you are, you can always consider the Cactus RF60X.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.